Internet Safety and Security
No one wants to believe it can happen to them, but identity theft isn’t something that only happens to other people. In fact, identity theft is a widespread problem that affects millions of Americans each year. While this may sound unsettling, you can rest assured that Landmark Bank protects your personal information with advanced safety features that give you greater security and peace of mind. There are also many ways you can protect yourself from fraud by taking some simple, common sense measures, including:
- Guard your numbers — Never give out your Social Security number or bank account numbers over the phone unless you initiate the call and know the person or organization on the other end.
- Beware of phishing scams — Phishing targets email users with a variety of ploys to try to gain access to sensitive information. If you receive an email asking for personal information, even if the email seems legitimate, never click on a link in it. Instead, call to verify the source named in the email. And check for subtle clues that something's amiss, such as a URL that seems unrelated to the purported sender, or an email attachment that contains the extension ".exe," which is used for an executable file. It may contain a virus.
- Store safely — Cancelled or new checks should be stored in a safe place. Do not carry your Social Security card, passport or birth certificate with you. Keep them in a secure area, such as a fire safe box or safe deposit box.
- “Free” trial offers aren’t always free – Some free trial offers give you more than you expect and it can cost you lots of money until you cancel. The Federal Trade Commission offers tips to be an informed consumer while you consider the offers you see.
- Review bills carefully — If your bill or statement includes suspicious charges, investigate them immediately to head off any possible fraud.
- Review credit reports — Periodically request your credit report and verify the information is correct. As part of the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act, you are entitled to an annual free credit report from each of the three nationwide consumer reporting agencies through Annual Credit Report or by calling (877) 322-8228.
- Report immediately — Call Landmark Bank immediately to report lost or stolen Landmark debit or credit cards.
How Landmark Bank Protects You from Fraud
When you’re a Landmark Bank debit card or credit card holder, you can rest assured knowing that even if your card data is stolen, you bear no liability for losses from any resulting fraud. By maintaining simple vigilance on your accounts, you can be confident that, even if the bad guys succeed, your money is safe.
When you use your Landmark Bank Visa Debit Card, you have the ability to track every transaction you make. That’s because purchases are withdrawn directly from your checking account. You also receive these extra security features:
- Zero liability protection against unauthorized purchases made with your card.*
- 24/7 fraud monitoring to protect you against fraud and suspicious activity.
- Card Controls to protect your card from fraudulent transactions
- 3-digit security code for an additional layer of security that helps verify your identity when making online and telephone purchases.
In addition, Landmark Bank debit card holders and Plutonium®
credit card holders are protected with EMV chip technology.
If you suspect your personal financial information may have been compromised, call our Fraud Department at (866) 256-8700
or Contact Us