If you suspect your business has fallen victim to fraud, call our Fraud Department toll-free: (866) 256-8700.
Keeping Your Business Safe
In recent years, there has been an uptick in scams and fraud targeting businesses. Small to mid-sized companies may be particularly vulnerable to sophisticated identity thieves who steal online banking credentials in order to transfer funds fraudulently. While Landmark Bank works diligently to protect your information, you can take additional steps to shield your business from this type of fraud.
Best Practices for Online Safety
Follow these best practices to help keep your business safe from criminals:
- Educate your employees about fraud schemes.
- Don’t respond to or open attachments or click on links in unsolicited emails.
- If a message appears to be from your financial institution and requests account information, do not use any of the links provided. Call the financial institution directly to determine if any action is needed. Remember: Financial institutions do not send customers emails asking for passwords, credit card numbers or other sensitive information.
- Be wary of pop-up messages claiming your machine is infected with a virus and offering software to scan and fix the problem, as it could be malicious software that allows the fraudster to remotely access and control your computer.
- Make sure your employees know how to report suspicious activity within your company and at your financial institution.
Enhancing Computer Security
Below are some steps you can take to protect your data:
- Ensure all your company’s computers are protected with up-to-date, real-time anti-virus desktop firewall and malware detection and removal software. Scan computers for viruses regularly.
- Do not use public internet access points (e.g., Internet cafes, public hotspots such as airports, etc.) to access accounts or personal information. If using such an access point, employ a virtual private network (VPN).
- Minimize the number of computer workstations and laptops that are used for financial activities (internet banking, payments, remote deposit, etc.).
- Limit administrative rights on users' workstations to help prevent the inadvertent downloading of malware or other viruses.
- Consider clearing the browser cache before starting an internet banking session in order to eliminate copies of webpages that have been stored on the hard drive. How the cache is cleared will depend on the browser and version. This function is generally found in the browser's preferences menu.
- Create strong passwords with at least 10 characters and include a combination of mixed case letters, numbers and special characters. Be sure to change your password every 30-60 days.
- Prohibit the use of "shared" login IDs and passwords; never share a password with third parties.
- Never leave a computer unattended while using any online banking or investing service and be sure to reconcile all banking transactions on a daily basis.
- Set up dual authorization controls for all ACH and wire transfer payments with a separate originator and authorizer through Landmark Bank's Business Premium Internet Banking.
- Set up transaction dollar limits for all ACH and wire transfer payments with dual authorization controls through Landmark Bank's Business Premium Internet Banking.
- Immediately escalate any suspicious transactions to prevent further loss.
Bank Safely with a Visa Business Rewards Card
When it comes to protecting your business, Landmark Bank has your back. With a Visa® Business Rewards Card from Landmark Bank, you’re able to track every transaction you make. And you can rest assured that you’re protected against fraud. Landmark Shield offers a wide variety of features and protections for your Landmark Bank Visa Business Rewards Card, including:
- Landmark Shield 24/7 fraud monitoring to protect your business against fraud and suspicious activity
- Landmark Shield Zero liability protection against unauthorized purchases made with your card*
- Verified by Visa password protection for making online purchases at participating merchants safe
- 3-digit security code for an additional layer of security that helps verify your identity when making online and telephone purchases
- Purchase security and extended protection can help double the life of certain warranties for up to one year**
- Travel and emergency assistance services like medical, legal or transportation when you travel overseas
- EMV chip card technology protects you when making transactions at terminals or ATMs that are chip-enabled
*Covers U.S.-issued cards only and does not apply to ATM transactions, PIN transactions not processed by Visa®, or certain commercial card transactions. Cardholder must notify Landmark Bank promptly of any unauthorized use. Consult Landmark Bank for additional details or visit visa.com/security.
**Certain terms, conditions, and exclusions apply. In order for coverage to apply you must use your covered Visa® Debit Card to secure transactions. Please refer to your Guide to Benefits for further details