The holidays are a great time to spend time with family and eat delicious home-cooked meals, but there's no denying gift giving plays a large role in the season.
Each year, many of us push our checking accounts to the max to get heartfelt presents for our loved ones. Others are more frugal, camping outside of retailers on Thanksgiving to get Black Friday deals or perusing online retailers for discounts on Cyber Monday. In any case, there are few people who wouldn't prefer to spend less on holiday shopping while getting meaningful gifts for friends and family.
Here are some money-saving tips to consider as you shop this holiday season:
- Cash in unused gift cards. No, this doesn't mean you should regift them. This tip refers to using those gift cards to purchase presents for others. If, for instance, you have a Target gift card with a $50 balance, you can take those funds to buy toys and clothing for your kids.
- Opt for free shipping. Online shopping is not only convenient, but it can also be a big help during the holidays. There are few things more frustrating than selecting the perfect gift for someone only to find out every retailer in your area is out of stock. Retailers tend to have a bigger inventory online, and you can often get your items without paying for shipping. This includes catching free shipping periods, which are frequent during the holidays, or selecting the free standard shipping option. Keep in mind the latter means you'll need to order your items earlier.
- Swipe and Sign with you Landmark Bank Visa ® Debit Card. When you swipe and sign for your purchase the transaction is protect by Landmark Shield with Purchase Security*, Warranty Manager*, and Zero Liability Protection**.
- Comparison shop online. To save time and money, check the price for items on your list online at various retailers. Even if you're not planning to order online, you can see which store has the best price and the item in stock.
- Use coupons and discount codes. Many retailers offer exclusive holiday coupons and codes that provide better deals than you'd find during other times of the year. Be on the lookout for these discounts.
For more information about smart ways to manage your finances, contact Landmark Bank.
*Certain terms, conditions, and exclusions apply. In order for coverage to apply you must use your Landmark Bank Visa debit card to secure the transaction. Please refer to your Guide to Benefits for further details.
** Covers U.S.-issued cards only and does not apply to ATM transactions, PIN transactions not processed by Visa, or certain commercial card transactions. Cardholder must notify Landmark Bank promptly of any unauthorized use. Consult Landmark Bank for additional details or visit visa.com/security.
Back to Blog